Search This Blog

29 April 2009

Recipe: Vingared Pot Salad

MMMhhhh pot salad. Let me tell you some advice about cooking with pot or better yet eating items cooked with pot- its a more enjoyable experience when you know that Maryjane is one of the ingredients. Not to say that it isn't fun otherwise, but it's more shocking and worrisome when you had no idea that you just ingested some fun-time food. This comes from personal experience people. I would go into the whole story, but let's just say that I will be a bit more particular about what I eat when house sitting at a persons house. It's a bit overwhelming to be taken by surprise like that.

Anyhoo, this post isn't really a recipe for vinegared POT salad, it's a recipe for vinegared POTATO salad. I want to forewarn you that this recipe has no precise measurements, only precise ingredients, and even that can be changed to your liking. I am also going to be honest and tell you that I sometimes, really all the time, eat this salad warm because I am just to lazy to wait for the potatoes to cool down enough. Warm mayo doesn't scare me- I laugh in the face of salmonella or botulism or whatever the hell comes from eating warm mayo. Actually I don't even think warm mayo is all that bad unless it has been sitting out for hours under the hot Atlanta sun and then if I was really inebriated I would still eat it. No biggie.

So vinegared potato salad is of my own design or at least I thought it was until I googled it and found that I was sadly mistaken. It appears that most recipes either call for mayo and a teensy bit of vinegar, if any, or vinegar with no mayo served warm. Haha, I am the only one to come up with is. I knew I was a cooking genius. I guess I have to be good at something and since I haven't found shit else I excel at apparently coming up with this salad is my saving grace.

FYI: for those of you out there that are disappointed that this is a recipe for potato salad not pot salad then I would like to tell you that you could always add some to this if you want. Not sure how it would turn out, but then again I was never one to cook with illegal substances. I only eat souped up baked goods, I don't make them.

Vinegared Potato Salad
5 or 6 medium sized cooking potatoes such as Yukon Gold (you can actually use whatever kind of potato catches your fancy- if you like purple, go with purple, if you like the little red potatoes, go with them)
-Cut them potatoes into relatively equal bite sized pieces and throw them in a pot of cold salted water.
-Turn the burner on to high and cook the potatoes until they are fork-tender, but not mushy. Make sure you check often once the water boils. You don't want those bad boys to be too soft, otherwise you will have mashed vinegar potato salad, which I have made more than enough times.
- Once cooked, drain the potatoes and put in a big bowl and place in fridge. Let them cool down. You can add the other ingredients now if you impatient like I am.
Now to adding the additional ingredients:
-Start with 1/4 cup mayo, you want each piece of root to have a slight finish of mayo but no more ( you can always add more later)
-Start with a 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar (you can use cider vinegar or champagne vinegar too, if that is more your speed)
-Throw in some finely chopped red or white or green onion pieces
- Salt the bowl up
- Pepper the bowl up
-add more of any of the above, but go slow; you don't want to over vinegar, over salt, over may, or over pepper your salad

Voila! All done.
** You could also add some:
chopped up hard boiled egg
pickle juice
chopped up pickles
chopped celery
chopped up bacon (bleh)
chopped up herbs
capers
whatever else you want to become a cooking idiot savant like me

Good luck and good eats!

No comments: