Search This Blog

31 March 2009

Roasted Red Pepper Soup Recipe!

Now I realize the picture does not look too yummy; I think my everyday dishes suck at food photography. That being said, this recipe is super good. I picked it up over at Simply Recipes The recipe is super easy and is perfect with a simple grilled cheese sandwich. The perfect cold weather food, or if you are like me, the perfect any weather food. Now I made this recipe with pre-roasted red peppers. I am sure it would be more delicious with homemade roasted red peppers but I didn't have the time. So if you want to make your own roasted red peppers follow these steps: Roast the red bell pepper by placing it over or under an open flame until it is blackened on all sides. (You can use a grill, cook top gas burner, or oven broiler.) Place the blackened pepper in a bag, close the bag, and let the pepper steam for 10-15 minutes, or until the skin feels like it can easily be slipped off. Remove the pepper from the bag, peel off the blackened skin, remove the seeds. See I told you this was too much work. Much easier to just buy the peppers pre-roasted. Good eats my friends!

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup Recipe
Ingredients
1 can of drained roasted red peppers
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped small (around 5 cups)
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
3 cloves garlic
2 quarts chicken stock
1 cup hot milk or cream
1/2 stick of butter
1 tbsp ( at least!!!) Cayenne Pepper
red pepper flakes to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Cut pepper into strips. Place peppers, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a large soup pot and add the stock. Cook over medium-high heat until potatoes are soft. You can tell by sticking a fork in them, the potatoes will immediately break apart.
Add hot milk and butter. Purée in a blender or food processor until very smooth. You can also use a hand blender. Add cayenne,red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.
Serves 6-8.

No comments: