Search This Blog

19 May 2009

Recipe: Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa

Like the forgetful person I am, I can't find the recipe for these low fat chicken tacos that I made. I thought I got it out of my Weight Watchers cookbook, but I didn't. I have no idea where I got this recipe from, cooking light perhaps. OH well I am going to give you the ingredients I think were in it and you can try and recreate this dish yourself. Sorry in advance. I served the tacos with a souped-up version of Traders Joes Fat Free Refried Beans that I added hot sauce, salt, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of cheese too. It would have been better if Trader Joes fat free refried beans didn't suck so bad. Do not get there brand of refried beans, whatever you do.
Ingredients:
For Tacos:
-1 pkg chicken breast bought or pounded thin and cut into strips
-1/2 tsp chili powder
-1/2 tsp cumin
-salt to taste
-1/2 red onion sliced thin
-1 cup lettuce- can slice thin or use regular
-1 pkg of corn or flout tortillas, depends on what you like and what you can find
-optional
- add sliced bell pepper
-add ground pepper flakes

For Salsa:
-1 mango cut into thin strips, to cut slice sides off, then make checkerboard shape with knife to "meat", then flip inside out and scrape off of skin
-1/2 to 1/4 of the red onion sliced thin
-1/2 of a lime juiced
-pinch or 2 of sugar
-a bunch of cilantro, chopped
-salt and pepper to taste
Optional:
-Jicama, peeled
-Bell Pepper
-Jalapeno
-Pineapple
-Cantaloupe

For salsa, just combine and let flavors meld for about 30 minutes or more. A great item to make a day ahead.

For tacos, heat oil in a non-stick pan.
-Add chili powder, cumin, and salt to both sides of chicken.
-Add onions to pan and let them cook for 3 or 4 minutes.
-Add chicken to pan.
- Cook until chicken is done, which is fairly quick, 5 minutes or less, if chicken is sliced thin.
-Remove from pan and assemble tacos.
-Add low fat sour cream if you need some.

No comments: