Search This Blog

17 May 2010

White Bean, Chicken Sausage, and Kale Stew Recipe

The deliciousness that is an easy and healthy weeknight meal:
**I should preface this by saying I hate any type of cooked greens, but love this dish for some reason.

White Bean, Chicken Sausage, and Kale Stew

-1 can white beans (sometimes I want it thicker and I throw in 2 cans of white beans. If that is the case I use both northern beans (large) and navy beans (small)).
- 1 pkg of chicken sausage- you can use fresh (remove liner) or links (I use Applegate Farms chicken andouille sausage which you can get at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's- it adds some great spice which is great)
- 1 lb kale, chopped with thick stems removed (I normally just buy a bag of pre-chopped, use 1/2 and make sure to remove the stems from the pre-chopped)
-1 tbsp olive oil
-2 cups chicken broth
-2 cups water
-2 hefty pinches of red pepper flakes
-2 chopped garlic cloves
-salt and pepper to taste

*Heat olive oil in a large pot. Once hot, throw in sausage and cook until browned
*Throw in garlic and cook for a minute- don't burn it
*Add white beans, chicken broth, water, red pepper flakes, some salt, pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes
*Add kale, making sure it all gets pushed under the liquid. Simmer for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper more if needed.

Now EAT!

Sorry there are no pictures- I always dig in before the thought of taking pictures crosses my mind.

No comments: