Search This Blog

16 June 2010

Recap and a Recipe

Hello, hello. How's everybody today??? Good? Good! So I think I am still recovering from a whirlwind of a weekend. I had a semi-house party Saturday in between watching the USA vs England game, which was equal parts exciting and hot, and drinking at the hiz.


It felt like an international festival at my house since we had been taken over by Hungarians and a Frenchy. Out of the 4 cases of beer we consumed, there are 2 lonely singles left in the fridge and the 7 layer dip left us somewhere around 4 pm. Sad. Cabbagetown Park's soccer event was a lot of fun, what with the lack of breeze, 100 degree weather, and loads of soccer fans rooting on the US. We will just forget about those limey Brits sitting a row or 2 up from us. Really though, I had loads of fun hanging with old friends and gaining some new ones. Oh and Yay USA!!!

Sunday Funday was actually Sunday Cookday. I took my mom to a wine tasting/cooking class for a late Mom's day gift. On the menu was chicken in a pomegranate reduction, asparagus risotto (better than mine but more fatty), shrimp with feta and 'maters, and a flourless bittersweet chocolate cake. Yum!!!. I might have to hook y'all up with the recipes at some point. Maybe baby.


Lastly, Sunday night led me to a cookout at a friends house. Good times, tired times. Friend grilled it up and we all did a little trampoline jumping. I brought Cheetos's. I am such a thoughtful guest.

Recipe from Last weeks potluck:
Smoked Salmon and Apple Carpaccio
adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
(Makes 3 Servings, if you are serving hungry people)

Sliced French Bread, toasted
6 ounces Smoked Salmon
1 green apple, cut into very thin slices
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the sliced bread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Lightly coat with olive oil. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes than flip to the other side for a couple of minutes. Let cool.

Arrange the smoked salmon in a single layer on a serving platter. Lay the apple slices on top. Sprinkle the capers over the salmon and apple slices. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with the toasted bread.

Let me just forewarn you... this got eaten up extremely quickly, like only a couple of people made it to potluck on time and it was gone way before the rest of the people showed up. If you or your friends are fans of smoked salmon y'all will kill this quick, so you might want to up the recipe. Look at the beautiful Droid picture I took. Awwww- it's like a flying heart!

Smoked Salmon and Apple Carpaccio


Oh and my ah-ree-ble (pronounce like the British) 365 picture of last week is.... dun, dun, dun
22/365
I'm so domestic

No comments: