Search This Blog

27 September 2012

A quick recipe - Lemon Grain Salad

I know, I know!  I owe you two more long, boring posts about my vacation and I promise I will get to that. Tomorrow.  However today I found a picture I took of one of my favorite recipes and I thought that I would share it since my recipe posting has been absent in the past year (or 2). Basically this delicious  and kind of girly recipe is perfect for a quick and easy meal that you will actually want to eat multiple times.  I mean you will actually enjoy having leftovers, which is more than I can say about most things.



















Lemon Grain Salad with Asparagus, Almonds and Goat Cheese
(slightly adapted from thekitchn)

serves 4
8 ounces Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend
1 3/4 cups water
1 pound asparagus
Olive oil
1 cup sliced toasted almonds
4 ounces soft goat cheese, chilled and crumbled
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper

Cook the TJs harvest grain blend like it calls for on the side of the bag.  If you want to make more, you can add some cooked farro, quinoa, wheat berries, or couscous to this once it's cooked.
Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus and cut each spear into a 2-inch pieces. Heat a little olive oil over medium heat, and cook the asparagus until just barely crisp-tender - about 1-2 minutes. Add to the grains and mix.  Throw in the sliced toasted almonds, goat cheese and lemon zest.

Mix the lemon juice with the olive oil, taste, and adjust. Pour over grain salad and toss, along with salt and pepper to taste. You can serve this at room temperature or hot.

*If you have meyer lemons, use 'em

Enjoy

No comments: