Search This Blog

08 January 2014

Mediterranean Chicken Salad for Whole30

I'm on my 4th, err...5th day of whole30. (And I just learned 2 spaces between a period and the first letter of a sentence is wrong. FUCK!who knew? Apparently not I because my mind is blown. I'm also pretty sure you can't start sentences with AND nor can you put parentheses around regular sentences, but then again I am so not grammatically correct. If you have read anything I have written I will apologize to you now for what is considered a poor public school education... or perhaps it was all those drugs I took during my public school education). Aside aside I'm feeling pretty good. The second day migraine and third day headache (which I didn't tell y'all about) have worn away and other than not particularly enjoying meals all things are pretty good. I made it to the 7 pm workout Monday (woo hoo) and then did a quick 12 hour turnaround and went to the 7am workout on Tuesday. Hard as heck... as is only typing one space between sentences. Right now, afternoon on Wednesday, I'm feeling good. Kind of hungry, but good. I haven't had caffeine since last Friday and no sweets since then either. I've been trying to finish my large batch of tuna and egg salad (2 hard boiled eggs, 2 cans of tuna, half an onion, and homemade mayo). It's pretty good on endive lettuce leaves, but even better stuffed inside those mini sweet peppers you can purchase by the bag.

Today I wanted to give you a recipe for Mediterranean Chicken Salad. I grilled up four chicken breasts last night and this is what I will be eating for the next few meals. The chicken was so good that I even enjoyed a bite of it alone. I'm not sure if I could have stomached the whole thing by itself, but one bite didn't get stuck in my literal craw. Here's a horrid picture to make you not so hungry for it. It really is good though.


Mediterranean Chicken Salad
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast

For the marinade:
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice  (1 lemons amount of juice)
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

For the salad:
1 cucumber, peeled and cubed
1 pkg small grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 of a bell pepper, diced
2 tbsp red onion, diced
1/4 cup black olives
1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp dried oregano
salt and black pepper to taste
4 cups shredded lettuce

Marinate the chicken  2-3 hours or overnight. Combine the first 10 salad ingredients (cucumbers through salt and black pepper, not the lettuce) and set aside in the refrigerator to let the flavors set.
Cook the chicken on a hot grill until chicken is cooked through. I cooked my chicken on a panini press because it was 15 degrees outside. Once cooked take a heaping amount of lettuce and top with tomato-cucumber salad and grilled chicken. Store the 3 prepped items separately until you are ready to eat.  

No comments: